Wednesday, February 29, 2012

They might be (White) Giants



As I was flipping through the March issue of Elle Decor -- a rare treat -- I couldn't help but notice the same shaggy ivory rugs cropping up throughout the book. First I saw the ones on Joseph Altuzarra shortlist, which he bought home from Morocco, my latest travel crush.  

Above photos via Elle Decor

He describes them as "comfortable and unpretentious," and I couldn't agree more. As I paged ahead, the same type of rug took center stage in Jackie Astier's library. It adds simple but noticeable pattern and texture to the sophisticated salon.


Photo via West Elm


After I finished the magazine, I dove into the latest West Elm catalogue, which coincidentally  focused on Moroccan crafts. And lo and behold they were selling these same rugs. Thank goodness for Google -- I hopped online immediately to learn more. Usually called Beni Ouarain after the tribe that weaves them, these rugs are a high-pile wool that is off white with a black diamond pattern.

They're great because the neutral pattern and style work seamlessly in a traditional or modern setting. (To learn more about the rugs' history and the people who weave them, check out this great link.

I'd like to think I was ahead of the trend with the Dash & Albert rug that holds court in our living room. A spin on the color and pattern, it was one of my first purchases for our new home. I chose it in part because it plays off the design on our air vents -- one of those original details that drew me to the house in the first place!

Chez moi


2 comments:

  1. I saw those rugs in the West Elm catalog and they had me drooling....as well as the round, carved mango wood table on the second page (trying to convince my husband its "child friendly"). LOVE your rug...and your vents...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along.
    lounge chair

    ReplyDelete